Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Searching for Norumbega



"a towne half a myle longe" which "hath many streets farr broader than any street in London" the men go naked except for skins about their middle, and wear on their arms and legs "hoopes" of gold and silver . . . "garnished with pearls, divers of them as big as one's thumb." The women wear plates of gold like armor and gold leaves about their middles, and on their limbs bracelets and leg ornaments like the men's. Their houses are round like a dovecote and are upheld by pillars of gold, silver, and crystal.
[1]

I am not expecting a city of gold, I just want to find "That town." I remember it like it was a dream; I was with my dad, we had commissioned to have an adventure; go for a ride on the coast somewhere we hadn't been to. I remember we visited a beautiful little coastal village I hadn't realized was there. Lined with quirky and interesting shops, gallery's, cafe's and restaurants, it was bordered on two sides by water, and it resounded with a preternatural feeling of mystery.

I remember visiting a particular gallery. The owner was full of stories; Andrew Wyeth had recently visited. She pointed to a painting he said he had liked best, one of a view outside a window. He had said he liked it because he was a proponant of painting "where one is". (Or so I was told). I remember we had an ice cream as we wandered around. I circled the village twice so I wouldn't forget it.

I have been wanting to find that town again, but with no luck. At first I was convinced it was Port Clyde, but a visit last summer with my mother blew away that theory. Then I thought, oh yeah, it was Rockport.....nope! In desperation I quized my father... he couldn't remember either.

And so I am left to utilize the modern tools I have at my disposal. I have been looking all over google maps for an unexplored coastal village, an amalgamation of cafes, galleries and restaraunts that I had not yet visited between Camden and Bath. I have yet to come up with anything, going up and down the coast doing searches for cafe's, bookstores, whatever might indicate a rather civilized and interesting seaside town when it hits me; perhaps they don't want to advertise.

I have a theory about the explorer Champlain and the as yet undiscovered "City Of Gold"; Norumbega
It is simply this; Native Americans weren't stupid. They had heard what had become to other "Golden Cities", and quite intelligently refrained from showing him anything worth pillaging.

Native Mainers aren't stupid either; they know what happens when summer people move in and drive home prices through the roof. Perhaps there might be a town or two that quite intelligently refrains from selling itself to our modern day plunderers, "from away".

There are many theories on where "Norumbega" might have been, the main being situated at or near Bangor on the Penobscot. Other theories I have heard bandied about are that it might be on the Damariscotta or St George River somewhere; all around the same area I am looking for my mystery town...hmmmm....

I am going with my mother on Monday to Damariscotta to see my brother and attend a meeting. Perhaps we will go up the "River Road" to Boothbay and see where any of those mysterious looking side roads lead. There is something about that road, it feels so ancient. When I look at the area on google maps (hybrid view) I see some interesting underwater formations between east Edgecomb and East Boothbay....Hmmmm....

No comments: